Monday I just chilled at home and got some work done, no big deal. Tuesday though, I made a venture all about the city. See, on Tuesdays we have school groups in at the BFH and so our tours are done at two. At two, Ana, the education manager, needed all the interns to take two cardboard displays each to schools that were participating in the BFH science fair tomorrow. My school was all the way in Plaistow, which is in East London. I've never been over in East London before! I took the District Line from Embankment straight to Plaistow but it took forever. It shouldn't have taken so long but the District Line is famous for delays. Boo. So forty five minutes later I arrived in Plaistow and it looked so different from central London it was hard to believe I was still in what is considered Greater London. Plaistow is basically like it's own little town. It had a high street, some homes and lots of lush greenery and football fields and what not compared to the cement jungle and tall buildings of central London. The primary school was easy to find from the tube stop and so I got buzzed in there and dropped off my posters. English primary schools don't look too different from American elementary schools but I think it had a different vibe, maybe because it was an urban primary school.
After dropping off the posters it was only three in the afternoon and I had the rest of the day off from the BFH so I figured I'd go check out the Victoria and Albert Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green, which is also in East London.
This is what it looks like >
It was a free museum. It was much smaller than I thought it'd be but I really did like looking at the doll houses they had and the exhibit on the children's clothing throughout the ages. Way different from the stuff I wore, for sure. I was also mildly alarmed that they had a lot of toys from when I was little in the cases on display. I didn't think 22 was old haha!
I breezed through the museum in an hour so I decided to go back to Oxford Street in central London so I could go check on Carnaby Street, which is this little road full of quirky cool shops, one of them being the Lazy Oaf which I like. I went to the Lazy Oaf looking for these cute London postcards I saw online but they were out. Boo. So then I visited all the crappy little souvenir shops looking for a good de
Sunday I met up with my friends Ada and Iain to go to the We Make London craft show down near Holborn High Street in London. It was a pretty small show, much smaller than I had thought it was going to be. The one in Detroit has about fifty vendors and this one only had about ten but I did buy a tote grab bag for one pound (result!) that I can use as a shopping bag and it came with some soap and undies (yeah, weird but they are my size) in it too. And I also bought a new purse because the one I got on Etsy before I left was killing my shoulder. I should've taken a picture of it! It's pretty cute. I think it's big enough I might be able to get away with
Then I left the lovely Ada and Iain and went and sat in Soho Square to kill so
After they were gone, I was off as well to visit Tez at work since Sundays are really quiet at Envy and his shift was supposed to end in less than an hour. He works in
But alas, it wasn't meant to be. He was supposed to be able to leave at six but seven rolled around and a client refused to budge so I had to run and take the train home myself while he came home around midnight. Poor kid!
Having only really eaten cereal and cake that Sunday I came home completely starved and ate everything that Mrs. Tsang had to give me, much to her delight bwaha. She's always trying to feed me and I just don't have any room for it all.
Today was a completely a lazy day. I just worked on transcribing for the archive and did my laundry, watched the first episode of season 2 of Dexter and checked out the extras on my Mighty Boosh dvds. Tomorrow is an early day for me, I have to be at the BFH at nine on the dot because I'm off to help with the science fair. I've a few more pictures to show, mainly showcasing the different bits of transportation I have to take but that'll have to wait for another time!
3 comments:
Indie crafts! In London! Sweeet.
You're sounding a lot more comfortable/confident now :) And it also sounds like Tez has the same kind of job as my older brother does... at least the terminology sounds the same!
Cute picture of you & Tez! You sound much happier and I'm glad to hear you aren't homesick anymore. Sounds like you are having fun venturing out & seeing different things...good for you!
XO
Oops....I guess I forgot to fill in a line...
"anonymous"...AKA Aunt Cheryl
Post a Comment