Monday, July 21, 2008

Let's do this

I’ve not had the time nor concentration to sit down and do a proper entry for ages! So here we go.

I believe at last you read something from me was before the Fourth of July, oops! Well, let me tell you how I celebrated the day with the Benjamin Franklin House. On Thursday the operations manager gave me some petty cash and told me and two other interns to go ahead and pick up some party food like cupcakes, brownies, muffins and pretzels. Ok, no problem right? Wrong! Cupcakes, brownies and pretzels are all actually kind of hard to find in England. Cupcakes and brownies are really only found at the upscale boutique bakeries. Two dozen cupcakes can cost about 35 pounds from those places! They have these things called Fairy Cakes here in the grocery stores that are a poor imitation of cupcakes. They’re mini cupcakes with a dab of pastel frosting on them, that’s it. And the brownies (when you can find them) are sold individually for about 65p. That’s not going to feed a party of fifty, you guys. I found the muffins and eventually found a bag of stick pretzels at Marks and Spencers but the brownies remained elusive until I found them at Sainbury’s. Forty mini brownie bites for 2.50! Score. I had money left and I decided to get Krispy Kreme’s since they’re American and everyone loves some donuts. (You guys, I miss me some American food, I admit it). Oh my gosh. I got two dozen Krispy Kreme donuts for 17 pounds. Seriously. That’s 35 dollars. Ridiculous! But my mission was complete so hey. I also helped put up some American decorations there on the outside of the house. We're so ready to celebrate!

On July 4th, I got to work and tucked into a Krispy Kreme with the rest of the BFH staff, delicious. Then the party began at noon and it was a great turn out. Out of the fifty person party, there was a large majority of American tourists looking for some friendly faces as well as some British people coming to help celebrate. I had to work during the party so I had to pour champagne, make small talk with the guests and work in the box office to sell tickets to the party. I got to snack on the brownies and the pretzels too, good times. But then the good times ended at 3:15 when there were too many people for the tour and things got really confused. Me and this other intern Carley were the only ones that knew how to start tours and do box office that day so we didn’t get lunches and pretty much got worked ragged. Grr! But it’s ok. Afterwards, Tez and I met up and we did a little shopping. I got two more pashminas, score. When we got back home we tested our new pop up tent for the weekend ahead and then packed up and called it a night.

We got an early start on Saturday to head to Hop Farm near Tonbridge in Kent. We drove south for an hour or so before stopping at a rest area for some road snacks, which of course is the best part of a road trip (besides the in-car sing a longs). We got some Mini Rolls and some Chocolate Covered Corn Flakes from Marks and Spencers and Tez got some breakfast at Burger King. Burger King in the UK doesn’t have Croissanwhiches! They have Cumberland Sausage Butties instead, imagine that. After Tez was well and full we scooted down the rest of the way and arrived promptly at 11:30.




On the way I took these pictures of the Kent country side, Tez driving and me being a passenger.


The doors opened at noon though, so we parked and waited in the line. I bought a program to the festival. It was in a really cool format. Rather than being just a book, it was designed to look like a backstage pass on a lanyard. Sweet! As you can tell by the photo, it was flipping WINDY.








When the doors opened, we scoped out the situation. I’ve never been to a festival so it was all new to me! I got a Mighty Boosh shirt. It’s red with white lightning bolts on it. It was pretty decently priced really, for pounds. Then we settled down in front of the main stage and watched Polar Bear play. I have to say they were kind of a jazz band and didn’t really hype the crowd up for the festival. But next up Robots in Disguise played and I really like them. They’re an electro punk band and they really got the crowd up and moving! Love those girls.
Robots in Disguise >


We scooted off to the comedy tent and saw Arj Barker from the show Flight of the Conchords and Matt Berry from the Mighty Boosh as well as a funny Irish comic called David O’Doherty.



<>


After eating our packed lunch on the lawn we watched more bands like The Kills (a boring ripoff of the White Stripes). After The Kills though, we had to get up and get our spot right in front so we could hold it for like, oh, FOUR HOURS in order to be at the front to see the Boosh Band. We held our ground through Gary Numan (he sings the 80s song, “Cars”, which was pretty enjoyable in the 80s but he seems to have gone goth and totally sucks now), the Charlatans, Peaches, Jarvis Cocker and Har Mar Superstar.

<>


Har Mar Superstar was RIDICULOUS. Basically, Har Mar Superstar is this 30 something year old fat and balding guy (he looks 50) who raps and dances on stage and think he’s totally awesome, which is tolerable enough until uh, he strips. Seriously. He got down to his undies and it was gross. I think that he told the camera men to film the grossest parts of him like his fat hairy stomach and his hairy back. Sweet sassy molassy. The whole audience was groaning and he was just loving it. Bah!

Har Mar Superstar in his nakedness>
<>

Then finally the Boosh Band came on and the whole audience shifted forward squishing me and Tez and everyone else in the front against the gates. Grr. The little kids next to us had to be pulled out and sent back to their parents towards the back. The Boosh Band was really entertaining though. It was sort of a live theater/band thing going on and it was really awesome. I’d explain it to you more but you’d actually have to watch the show to appreciate what I was saying. Haha. Anyway, we had a great spot and saw all the action. The show was over way too quickly for me though and I was sad to go but we had to.
<>





The traffic in the parking lot to leave was gridlocked for an hour and Tez was really frustrated. We were supposed to be driving to a small town near Brighton to go to his boss’ party and we were already so late anyway since we went to the festival. We finally got out of the parking lot only to get lost several times! Let me tell you, England is pitch freakin’ black at night and there are no street lights and the street signs are hard to see. So, we missed a turn or sixteen and it took us til 1:30 am to get there instead of getting there around 12 like we’d planned. By the time we got there, Tez’s coworkers were pretty far drunk and most everyone had gone home. It was cold, windy and pitch black in the yard but we pitched our tent and made small talk til 3 but then we called it a night. It was not a good nights sleep, I was freezing! I slept in all of my clothes and still was chilled. English summers are not hot, people. It’s been in the upper 60s for highs for weeks. When we woke up we pretty much headed straight home. We had wanted to go to Brighton but the weather was cold, windy and rainy so the beach had to be a miss. We took a wrong turn or two to get home but made it safe and sound and spent the rest of the day cuddled up watching tv.

Monday was another quiet day that saw me doing laundry and working. Tuesday through Friday were pretty normal days at work. We got some new American interns named Elspeth and Charlotte and it’s good to have them there. I’ve missed me some Americans. Thursday evening Tez and I and his two friends went to look at a house to rent in Hornsey. We got a bit of a late start and then jumped on the wrong train but we made it. I tell you, I want to buy whatever camera they’ve got because those pictures made the place look immaculate but in reality it was kind of a piece. Oh well, the right place is out there somewhere. Plus I think I read there was a stabbing near the area the very next day. I don’t know what it is about Londoners but they keep stabbing each other up. It’s an epidemic here. It’s constantly in the news.

Friday evening I met Tez after work to celebrate his last day as a runner since he got promoted at work and would be a junior assistant in the machine room at work starting that Monday. We called it an early night though because I was crabby and went home. Ooops. Saturday we decided to go to Ikea and check out some things. We’re so domestic. I bought Tez a fitted sheet and he got a new comforter cover, pint glasses and a squircle plate for me (those square plates with rounded edges, I call them squircles, don’t ya know). We also ate at Ikea. I had a vegetarian hot dog and a donut and Tez had a foot long hot dog. Then we both got an ice cream cone for 35p. Nice!

Sunday we went to Sainbury’s and bought some groceries to make some curry for dinner. Tez’s mom had gone to the Cadbury Factory tour and brought us home copious amounts of chocolate, mmm. Tez was nervous about his first day at his new job so we called it an early night. Monday was another work day for me and I just stayed at home.

Tuesday at work we had a special event on, the Midden of Mystery event for National Archaeology Week. I was a bit nervous about the turnout at this event because I was in charge of advertising for it. Last year it seems that only two or three kids showed up for the event and Ana was hoping for at least four this year. Happily, we got 12 kids that showed up! It was a success! That’s the most amount of people I’ve seen at an event that wasn’t the 4th of July party. The rest of the week was pretty quiet and normal at work. I finally finished the conservation list I was working on. I think I’ve recorded all the significant problems with the house. I even got to meet the conservation team and go over some small repairs I’d recommend to be done soon. I felt pretty involved and felt like I was getting a lot of experience with that task. Friday evening after work I went out with my work friends Charlotte, Elspeth and Carley to a pub for a pint of…cranberry juice. I’m so hardcore! After that I caught the train home but it was a bit late so I had to run for my bus, grr. But I had a nice quiet evening at home after a long week and I was grateful for it. Days seem to take so much more energy here!

This weekend past, Tez and I had planned on doing a few things but the plans pretty much failed. We wanted to go to Shoreditch, the Tower Bridge exhibit and Burrough Market but none of that happened, which is ok. We went to High Street Kensington to check out the Whole Foods Market there. I’ve never been to a Whole Foods Market in the States but gosh, the store in London looked so American, I loved it. We got some free samples of some proscuitto dip and bruschetta made with buffalo mozzarella. I’ve never had cheese from a buffalo but I give it an A+, would eat again. Tez and I were quite hungry perusing the store so we decided to treat ourselves to something from the take out buffets there. The prices were steeps so we shared a bit of lasagna and a baguette. It tasted amazing! Ah, were we rich we’d have bought some groceries there. We explored the rest of the high street and its shops like Urban Outfitters and Uni Qlo to continue on Tez’s never ending search for the perfect pair of socks. Yeah, we didn’t find any socks, unfortunately. We couldn’t help ourselves when we passed by a cookie shop and picked up a treat. We got a double chocolate chip cookie topped with strawberry ice cream to share. Yum. We took the train home after that and made a quick trip to Sainsbury’s for some dinner supplies.

Tez trying to find some socks >



Unfortunately, when we arrived home we discovered that Georgie, Tez’s cat had birthed her kittens in the shed while we were gone and they were all dead. Sad :( I took the three little kittens and gave them a proper burial in the backyard for Tez, who was very upset. Poor guy. I seemed to have gotten bitten by a spider while digging though. I had a small bite on the inside of my left wrist that turned very red and it burned like whoa. I was afraid I’d have to go to the hospital! But the burning receded and my wrist is ok. Georgie seems to be doing ok but she’s still looking for her kittens, which is quite sad to hear.

Sunday we woke up eary and drove to London with Tez’s parents to meet up with a family friend named Dr. Hayes. He is a historian that has lived in Hong Kong for decades and has come to know Tez’s family there very well. We parked near a famous Banksy grafitti. I've only ever seen Banksy stuff online but now I've seen it in real life. He's talented.


We had lunch at a place in Chinatown that serves dim sum. I’m still digging those steamed pork buns! After lunch Tez and I went to Fopp, a music/DVD/book store and I completed my Mighty Boosh DVD collection by buying season three. If anyone wants a Boosh-a-thon with me, you know where I’m at, haha! When we got home, I settled into some work. We were going to go see Wall-E but alas, we got caught up making dinner and just never ventured back out. We might do Orange Wednesdays at the movie theater though. Basically my cell phone service provider allows you to do 2 for 1 tickets at the movie theater on Wednesdays and since the price of movie tickets here is exorbitant, it all works out for me.


The boys in the back: Rupert (Jean's friend), Tez's dad, Dr. Hayes, Tez. The girls in the front: Ros (Dr. Hayes' daughter), Mrs. Hayes, Tez's Mom, Jean (Tez's sister) and me!


So, that brings me back to today, Monday and I’m here finishing up and publishing this blog, working for the archive and looking after Georgie. I am thinking about making some chocolate chip cookies out of some of the Cadbury chocolate in the cupboard but we don’t have any brown sugar or flour. If I can be bothered to go out and get some, it’s cookie time!

I hope you enjoyed the post, sorry it took so long to post.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm dim sum, steamed pork buns (baked are even better), and buffalo cheese (the best cheese ever, lucky ducky!). Totally zeroed in on the food aspect of your entry, lol! There's so much to comment on but everything sounds awesome, especially the festival (a band called Polar Bear?! I'm in!) and 4th of July festivities.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, that is my favorite graffiti by Banksey. I pass it on my way to my new temp job! :D GO TO BOROUGH MARKET! If you were impressed by Whole Foods you will love it!! Good luck on the housing front!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm. Cadbury. Tez's mom looks super stylish.
And your post made me wonder whether there's such a thing as non-pork dim sum?

Anonymous said...

Ayah, there's shrimp dim sum, squid, various veggies... it kinda depends on the dim sum place you go to :)