I had a whirlwind type of last week in merry old England. Between Tez and I telling each other how much we'd miss each other and packing, I had work Tuesday through Friday which was rather typical. I got to train new interns and just finish up my different tasks. I did some patroling, I did some front of house, I worked in the box office. Friday was my last day and we all celebrated with cake! I got a chocolate roll from Marks and Spencers and a lemon cake as well and we all ate them during the last tour of the day. It pretty much didn't feel like it was my going away party at work! It just felt weird! But it was over quickly and it was time to change for my big night out.
Me and action Benjamin Franklin in the box office!
The girls from the BFH decided to go out to Nando's, a chicken place, for dinner first. Well, really we first went to H&M and then it was off to eat. Nando's specializes in peri peri chicken, which is a spice. It's pretty tasty! I like the lemon and herb chicken though, I'm not as hardcore as the others! After a delicious meal there, I scooted on over to the Big Chill House where I was meeting up with everyone.
The Big Chill House has all of these little nooks where you can grab a couch and talk privately with your friends. It's pretty awesome. We grabbed a spot in the basement called the Finlandia Cabin. As you can imagine, it looked cabin-y. We grabbed this area that was basically a big vinyl covered bed with a table in the middle of it. Way cooler than a table in a crowded pub. And for some reason no one really wanted to stay in the basement with us so we had the whole area to ourselves! We could actually hear each other. It was cozy! I also got to wear out my official Londoner party outfit, whoo hoo!
Everyone in our little Big Chill House nook!
Jassen, Jen, Iain and Ada!
Hollie, me, Lucy and Elspeth representin' the BFH!
We stayed at the Big Chill House until 10:30 and then took the Tube on over to the Metro Club on Oxford High Street for indie night. Ok, now I'm always accused of ruining the fun at weddings because I don't dance. People, I dance! I dance all night! It just has to be to music I like! Thems the breaks. As it was, the music at indie night at the Metro Club was fan-fricking-tastic so I got my dance on. It was a lot of fun. I never go out to clubs to dance with friends but now I see why people do it! You just have to have the right people and the right music. We all partied to the late hour of one am (haha!) before Tez and I had to catch the train home. We got home around three thirty and went straight to bed. It was an awesome send off from London.
Me and Tez at the Metro Club!
So many different poses here...
The Metro Club was getting crowded!
Saturday, as predicted, was a rather sad day. We slept in late and then I had to pack. After getting most of my things packed we went on a tour of Luton and got some ink for Tez's printer. The little outing did help us get our minds off my impending departure, so that was good. When we got back I made the Tsangs banana bread to say thank you for letting me crash their lives for three months! After that, there were some tears, some movie watching, some tears, some tv watching and some packing and tears and sleeping. Sigh.
Sunday morning we woke up early to a gray and rainy day and scooted off to the airport after Tez's parents went to the other airport themselves (they were going to Glasgow). The traffic was sparse so we got to Heathrow in plenty of time. Then the check in for Air Canada was quiet too so we had about an hour to blubber all over each other. I went and bought a book and got Tez and I some Krispy Kreme donuts. You know, to drown the sorrow!
Told you we were blubbery!
Anyway, the time came for us to leave and we teared and snotted all over each other and then I went through security. Security was ok, got the gate ok. Actually got the remodeled Air Canada plane so I had a new seat and tv and movies on demand! I landed in Toronto on time and that whole experience was ridiculous. I had to go through US border patrol and move my luggage and turn it back in and everything. And then security freaked out on me because I left my laptop in my bag and they're like WHAT IS THAT?! Ok, whatever. I had to sit in a tiny tiny terminal to get my propeller plane back to Detroit. I couldn't get on the internet or call anyone because neither of my cell phones worked! Then my plane was late.
I finally made it back to Detroit and was heading down to the luggage claim when I heard my dad call my name. My parents were upstairs rather than downstairs and it was confusing! But we were finally reunited and we grabbed my luggage and went home.
So here I am three days later. I'm pretty jet lagged still! It feels pretty strange and completely normal to be home all at the same time.
3 comments:
Happy Birthday Ashley! Glad to see you had an enjoyable time in London this summer & you arrived safely back home. The jet lag is always rough, it would take me a week or so. Take care. All the best. p.s you look cute in your 'party outfit' :)
Happy Birthday and welcome home!
Hi Ash...I finally got the chance to finish reading your blog...I'm so glad you had a great time and had an experience of a lifetime....someday when the kids are grabbing at your skirts, you can remember your summer in "merry ole England" and smile! :) Glad to have you home safe & sound...
Aunt C. XO
Post a Comment