While I'm waiting for my photos to upload though I'll tell you about my weekend: I was a complete bum. Ughghg. I had so many ideas of what I could get up to this weekend with my expensive weekly travel card and I did nothing. I'm a bum! By the time I get back to Luton on Friday evening it's just so easy to go to sleep and relax for the weekend rather than getting back up the next morning and sorting out train times to book it back down to London for the day. I need more GD motivation, people.
Let's see, Saturday Tez had to catch up on his sleep after the night shift so he slept most of the day while I was tucked up in his living room working on a transcript for the archive and watching Dexter instead of going down to Camden or the Victoria and Albert Museum like I had planned. But Dexter was kind of worth it. What a great show! I totally recommend you guys going out and renting the DVDs. It's pretty violent but I don't even like detective-ish shows but this one is good. Mom, if you're reading this--watch it! It's so for you. Once Tez got up we continued being lazy and cooked ourselves some food etc.
Sunday, Father's Day, Tez and I and his mom all went to the Arndale Mall in Luton to have a look around. I went into Primark, a cheap clothing store I kept hearing about and have wanted to check out. Assuredly the clothing isn't of the highest quality but they have great deals on basics which is a good thing for a poor American girl who may need to add a bit to her wardrobe here and there as the weather changes. And let me tell you, the weather is all over the place here! It was in the eighties for a few days and now it's firmly settled in the sixties for the foreseeable future and I'm pretty chilled. Everyone else in England has their windows wide open enjoying the weather and I'm wearing my flipping blanket like a cape! I only have one warm jacket here and I'm wishing I had more.
So, to remedy this I set out to purchase one of these summer scarves I keep seeing the cool indie kids and other such people wearing around here. Urban Outfitters and Topshop (a
really popular women's clothing store here) sell these scarves for 15 or more pounds but at Primark they're three pounds. Score! And Mrs. Tsang insisted she bought it for me so she did and thanks Mrs. Tsang! Now I'm sporting a summer scarf that's actually keeping me warm enough to not have a cardigan on now. And yeah, it's supposed to be tied like that. It's not so much a rectangular scaft as a square one so it ties weird. Check it out > I can now check off "Wears scarves in the summer" in my indie kid handbook. :P Yikes, I'm going to need a hair cut soon.
Oh, and then Tez took his parents out to dinner for Father's Day and I got to come along. We ate at the Moathouse which is a pub in Luton. Whoo hoo! I ate in a real pub for the first time. Too bad I couldn't have a pint of beer but I did have a pint of water. Bad ass. I had a Yorkshire pudding and stuffing that was pressed into a really dry hush puppy sized ball and beef and some cheesey cauliflower and some peas and corn in case you were wondering.
Today has been another crapshoot. I've just worked for the archive, flipped Tez's mattress (oh gah, my back was killing me this morning. Every vertebrae popped and now my muscles hurt. I miss my bed!) and wrote this blog. Fun.
Anywho, what else do we have to show you here? Ah yes, here is a little area at the Victoria Embankment Garden's near the BFH that I sometimes go and eat my lunch in because the chairs are comfy and there's usually a band playing.
Annnnd here's my friend Jan and I last week when we met up after work:
Ok and here's the station I get the train at in Luton to head down to London:
The other day a girl brought her dog to the station to take her on a train somewhere. I have no idea where she might need to take her dog on a train but fair enough. I miss my dogs so much that I was about to dog nap her dog so she'd better watch out! I haven't pet (petted?) a dog in three weeks and I'm getting desperate!
Here's the room where the interns work at the BFH. It's on the top floor facing the alleyway between the buildings so there's not much of a view out that window. I think this floor was the one where the anatomy school was. Ewwwww.

This is the light switch for the bathroom at Tez's house.

I think quite a few bathrooms in the UK have a string to pull from the ceiling to turn on the bathroom light. It's the only room that has this. I don't know why for sure it's like this BUT I like to think it's because the Brits are too scared to flip a light switch when their hands are wet. Tee hee. Also, to the left there is a plug for a shaver. For some reason the electric shavers here have a completely different plug than all of the other electronics and therefore need their own plug. Why? Who knows. Seems inconvenient to me. Anyway, I'll have to get you a picture of the sockets and plugs they normally use here. They're HUGE.
And lastly, here is another string pull in the bathroom to turn on the hot water heater right there next to the shower. You have to turn it on before you even run your shower otherwise, brrrr!
Also, you can only turn on the shower from that little box. You turn it to the right to turn it on and adjust the temperature. You can't adjust the pressure at all and let me tell you, it could use some more pressure. When I go back home at the end of the summer, our shower is going to knock me over!
Go ahead and click on the photos to make them bigger!
Ok, one last thing from me. I'll be commenting back to your comments now. All you have to do is click on the comments link under each post to read all the comments. So, now when you see my name in the comments list you'll know I'm talking back to ya!
Oh, and P.S. I'm not really homesick anymore so you guys can stop worrying about me :D
Oh, and then Tez took his parents out to dinner for Father's Day and I got to come along. We ate at the Moathouse which is a pub in Luton. Whoo hoo! I ate in a real pub for the first time. Too bad I couldn't have a pint of beer but I did have a pint of water. Bad ass. I had a Yorkshire pudding and stuffing that was pressed into a really dry hush puppy sized ball and beef and some cheesey cauliflower and some peas and corn in case you were wondering.
Today has been another crapshoot. I've just worked for the archive, flipped Tez's mattress (oh gah, my back was killing me this morning. Every vertebrae popped and now my muscles hurt. I miss my bed!) and wrote this blog. Fun.
Anywho, what else do we have to show you here? Ah yes, here is a little area at the Victoria Embankment Garden's near the BFH that I sometimes go and eat my lunch in because the chairs are comfy and there's usually a band playing.
Annnnd here's my friend Jan and I last week when we met up after work:
Here's the room where the interns work at the BFH. It's on the top floor facing the alleyway between the buildings so there's not much of a view out that window. I think this floor was the one where the anatomy school was. Ewwwww.
This is the light switch for the bathroom at Tez's house.
I think quite a few bathrooms in the UK have a string to pull from the ceiling to turn on the bathroom light. It's the only room that has this. I don't know why for sure it's like this BUT I like to think it's because the Brits are too scared to flip a light switch when their hands are wet. Tee hee. Also, to the left there is a plug for a shaver. For some reason the electric shavers here have a completely different plug than all of the other electronics and therefore need their own plug. Why? Who knows. Seems inconvenient to me. Anyway, I'll have to get you a picture of the sockets and plugs they normally use here. They're HUGE.
And lastly, here is another string pull in the bathroom to turn on the hot water heater right there next to the shower. You have to turn it on before you even run your shower otherwise, brrrr!
Go ahead and click on the photos to make them bigger!
Ok, one last thing from me. I'll be commenting back to your comments now. All you have to do is click on the comments link under each post to read all the comments. So, now when you see my name in the comments list you'll know I'm talking back to ya!
Oh, and P.S. I'm not really homesick anymore so you guys can stop worrying about me :D
7 comments:
OMG - you're wearing a terrorist scarf too!! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24860437/
(This is completely stupid story!!)
Anyway, haha yes there are definitely some differences in the US/UK homes. I guess the electricity voltage is higher, so it's more dangerous to have electric outlets in the bathrooms?
Ada - Hahaha well, my last name is Ray as well. You never know about us. *shifty eyes* That Rachael Ray thing was blown out of proportion really. They should've just picked a different color scarf I guess.
Yeah I know it's 220 over here compared to 110 back in the US. Maybe that's why they need plugs twice the size?
you are sooo fun and cute in your scarf. I will have to check out Dexter. I was looking at the tv times for my new favs. Fear itself and Criminal minds. I haven't watched them yet but you know me. The pics are good and informative. keep them coming.
Love ya lots
Dexter rocks! You have to start from the beginning though, that's what Chris and I did! Rent the DVD!
Aww, yay! Good times in England now? I'm so jealous, I've been doing absolutely nothing (graduating and being jobless sucks) and you're gallivanting around England, wearing cute terrorist scarves. Haha.
Nice pics, UK bathrooms are weird! I'll have to take some pics of my new apt. once I'm finally settled in...which might take awhile.
<3!
how indie of you :P
love the scarf though.
ah, I got one of those scarves too! lol! It almost looks like yours, only green and I bought it on the street. But I am having the hardest of times getting it to tie right. :( Boo on me though, I suppose. I might just be ridiculous!
Post a Comment